March 20, 2019
CAIRO – On March 22 at 6:30 in the evening, in recognition of World Water Day, we will light the U.S. Embassy in blue! We are doing this to highlight the partnership between the United States and Egypt to combat the global challenge of water scarcity.
World Water Day has been held annually on March 22 every year since 1993 when the UN General Assembly chose the day to recognize the importance of the sustainable management of freshwater resources.
The Nile River has given birth to the remarkable achievements of ancient and modern Egyptian civilization. It continues today to sustain the farms and factories crucial to Egypt’s food security and economic development. The Nile supplies 97 percent of Egypt’s domestic natural water resources, and 95 percent of modern Egypt’s population of 100 million people lives proximity to the river.
This year’s World Water Day theme is, “Leaving No One Behind.” The United States envisions a water-secure world; in which people and nations have clean, safe water to be healthy, prosperous, and resilient. Over the past four decades, the United States has invested more than $3.5 billion in partnership with the Government of Egypt to help bring clean drinking water and sanitation services to the Egyptian population. Current USAID projects are expanding access to drinking water and wastewater services in Upper Egypt and North Sinai, and are supporting the Government of Egypt to improve the quality and sustainability of services. We also support work to raise awareness in communities about water quality and shoreline health.
For more information about the U.S. Global Water Strategy and related information, please visit these links.
- U.S. Government Global Water Strategy: https://www.state.gov/documents/organization/275842.pdf
- Water page from the website of the Department of State’s Bureau of Oceans and International Environmental and Scientific Affairs: https://www.state.gov/e/oes/ecw/water/index.htm
- USAID World Water Day website: https://www.usaid.gov/world-water-day
- The U.S. Water Partnership: http://www.uswaterpartnership.org/
- USAID/Egypt: https://www.usaid.gov/egypt