Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Cairo (June 25, 2020)
Event: CURFEW CHANGES IN EGYPT
The Government of Egypt has announced new guidance related to the COVID-19 crisis in Egypt. Starting on Saturday June 27, the nightly curfew will end.
- Restaurants, cafes, sports clubs and movie theaters will be allowed to open at 25 percent capacity.
- Restaurants and cafes will be required to close by 10:00 p.m., while other shops will be required to close by 9:00 p.m.
- Places of worship will be allowed to reopen for daily prayers from Sunday to Thursday. Places of worship will remain closed on Friday and Saturday.
- Public parks and beaches remain closed.
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo encourages U.S. citizens seeking COVID-19 medical information to reference the Government of Egypt’s Ministry of Health and Population’s social media accounts at https://www.facebook.com/egypt.mohp/ (Arabic only). The Government of Egypt has also provided a COVID-19 dedicated hotline at 105 15335 or 15469 for additional inquiries (Arabic proficiency recommended).
Multiple direct and indirect flight options to the United States now appear to be available from various airlines. Please check directly with the airlines or a travel agency for options.
If you have additional questions about assistance with returning to the United States, please send an email to CairoRepat@state.gov.
The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens in Egypt to adhere to local quarantine and curfew measures to prevent the spread of the virus.
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Egypt. https://eg.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information. http://www.coronavirus.gov
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/summary.html
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/17/fact-sheet-dhs-notice-arrival-restrictions-china-iran-and-certain-countries-europe
- U.S. Embassy Cairo (Cairo, Egypt)
5 Tawfik Diab St
Garden City, Cairo, EGYPT
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Egypt Country Information https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Egypt.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts. http://step.state.gov
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. fb.me/usembassycairo twitter.com/usembassycairo