Event: Curfew changes in Egypt (UPDATE)
The Government of Egypt has announced the following guidance related to COVID 19 crisis in Egypt:
- For the Eid holiday, the curfew hours will be extended. Starting from Sunday, May 24 through Friday, May 29, the curfew will be from 5:00 p.m until 6:00 a.m.
- From May 24 to May 29, all restaurants, public transportation (trains, metro, public buses), entertainment venues, commercial shops, beaches and parks will be closed for all hours.
- Grocery stores and pharmacies will be allowed to remain open.
- After the Eid holiday, starting on Saturday, May 30, the curfew hours will resume from 8:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m..
- Starting on May 30, every person needs to be wearing a facemask when entering all public institutions and public and private transportation.
- International flights remain suspended.
- The Government of Egypt will review all measures in mid-June.
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo is not currently aware of any planned direct flights to the United States.
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo reminds U.S. citizens that you must have a valid U.S. passport in order to travel.
If you have additional questions about assistance with returning to the U.S., please send an email to CairoRepat@state.gov.
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo reminds U.S. citizens in Egypt to adhere to local quarantine and curfew measures to prevent the spread of the virus, and to continue to check with other commercial airlines for upcoming flights that might be departing the country. The Embassy will continue to work with the Egyptian government to identify or arrange options for U.S. citizens who wish to depart Egypt.
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Egypt.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Cairo (Cairo, Egypt)
5 Tawfik Diab St
Garden City, Cairo, EGYPT
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Egypt Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.