Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Cairo (June 12, 2020)
Event: CURFEW CHANGES IN EGYPT
The Government of Egypt has announced the following guidance related to the COVID-19 crisis in Egypt:
- Starting June 14, the curfew hours will change to 8:00 p.m. to 4:00 a.m.
- Places of worship, public parks, and beaches remain closed through the end of June.
- Domestic flights and tourism to areas with low COVID-19 infection rates are expected to resume on July 1.
The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens in Egypt to adhere to local quarantine and curfew measures to prevent the spread of the virus.
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo encourages U.S. citizens seeking COVID-19 medical information to reference the Government of Egypt’s Ministry of Health and Population’s social media accounts at https://www.facebook.com/egypt.mohp/ (Arabic only). The Government of Egypt has also provided a COVID-19 dedicated hotline at 105 15335 or 15469 for additional inquiries (Arabic proficiency recommended).
Multiple direct and indirect flight options to the United States appear to be available from EgyptAir, Air France, Lufthansa, and others. Please check directly with the airlines or a travel agency for options.
If you have additional questions about assistance with returning to the United States, please send an email to CairoRepat@state.gov.
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Egypt.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information. http://www.coronavirus.gov
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/17/fact-sheet-dhs-notice-arrival-restrictions-china-iran-and-certain-countries-europe
- U.S. Embassy Cairo (Cairo, Egypt)
5 Tawfik Diab St
Garden City, Cairo, EGYPT
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Egypt Country Information https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Egypt.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts. http://step.state.gov
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. fb.me/usembassycairo twitter.com/usembassycairo