Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Cairo (July 16, 2020)
Event: EMBASSY OPERATIONAL STATUS
To comply with social distancing guidelines imposed by both the U.S. and Egyptian governments, the U.S. Embassy in Cairo continues to provide only emergency services to U.S. citizens until further notice. Limited passport services can be provided on an emergency basis, which normally includes urgent travel. If you require an emergency passport please contact ConsularCairoACS@state.gov to request an appointment, and be prepared to provide proof of your upcoming urgent travel (purchased ticket). We regret the inconvenience.
During the COVID-19 outbreak, the U.S. Embassy in Cairo established the email address CairoRepat@state.gov specifically to assist U.S. citizens requesting assistance or information about returning to the United States. This email address will no longer be used to communicate with the Embassy. Instead, if you require any emergency service, please send us an e-mail (with your confirmed travel) to ConsularCairoACS@state.gov so we can consider you for an emergency appointment. For U.S. citizens in Egypt who wish to return to the U.S. but lack the financial means to do so, the U.S. Embassy may be able to offer some assistance. You can inquire about this process by also sending an e-mail to ConsularCairoACS@state.gov.
Because of the availability of multiple international flights departing Egypt on commercial carriers, the U.S. Embassy in Cairo will no longer announce specific flights available to U.S. citizens. Please check directly with the airlines or a travel agency for options. We will continue to provide updates about travel and health conditions in Egypt, as well as other topics of concern to U.S. citizens in Egypt, including in regards to COVID-19. We strongly encourage you and all U.S. citizens in Egypt to register for STEP in order to automatically receive these messages from the Embassy.
Non-emergency services, including routine notarization services, remain suspended at this time. The U.S. Embassy in Egypt has also canceled all routine immigrant and nonimmigrant visa appointments – including diversity visas – through at least September 30, 2020. We will announce the resumption of scheduling for these services when resources and local conditions allow.
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo encourages U.S. citizens seeking COVID-19 medical information to reference the Government of Egypt’s Ministry of Health and Population’s social media accounts at https://www.facebook.com/egypt.mohp/ (Arabic only). The Government of Egypt has also provided a COVID-19 dedicated hotline at 105 15335 or 15469 for additional inquiries (Arabic proficiency recommended).
The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens in Egypt to adhere to local quarantine and curfew measures to prevent the spread of the virus.
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Egypt. https://eg.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information. http://www.coronavirus.gov
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/summary.html
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/17/fact-sheet-dhs-notice-arrival-restrictions-china-iran-and-certain-countries-europe
- U.S. Embassy Cairo (Cairo, Egypt)
5 Tawfik Diab St
Garden City, Cairo
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Egypt Country Information https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Egypt.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts. http://step.state.gov
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. fb.me/usembassycairo twitter.com/usembassycairo