Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Cairo (April 9, 2020)
Event: EXTENSION OF CURFEW HOURS AND AIR TRAVEL SUSPENSION / FLIGHT AVAILABLE FROM CAIRO TO LONDON SUNDAY, APRIL 12
The Government of Egypt announced the extension of the nationwide curfew for two weeks, until April 23. The curfew will now begin an hour later, at 8:00 pm, and go until 6:00 am. The Government of Egypt also announced the suspension of international air passenger arrivals will continue, until April 23.
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo is aware of a flight that is available Sunday, April 12 from Cairo direct to London (Gatwick) on the private carrier Air Cairo (Flight SM 2451). The flight is open to booking online, by telephone, and in-person:
- Telephone: Bookings can be made by telephone 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. daily on:
o 02 2266 3155
o 02 2268 9892
o 02 2269 55500
- In-person: The Air Cairo office in Cairo (2 El Safa Street, Sheraton, Heliopolis) is open for bookings 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., including over the weekend. Payment can be made in cash or by card.
PLEASE NOTE: This flight is available to U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents (LPRs). Visa holders are subject to the Presidential Proclamation barring entry to the U.S. by aliens physically present in the United Kingdom.
U.S. citizens are responsible for arranging their own onward travel to the U.S. from London. There are currently no direct flights to the U.S. from Gatwick Airport, but there are some direct flights from Heathrow Airport (LHR), including:
- VS 003: 13APR Depart LHR 9:05 a.m., arrive New York (JFK) 11:55 a.m. (codeshare with Delta 4370).
- AA 039: 13APR Depart LHR 12:50 p.m., arrive Miami (MIA) 5:35 p.m.
- BA 293: 13APR Depart LHR 5:05 p.m., arrive Washington (IAD) 8:15 p.m. (codeshare with American 6193).
- BA 213: 13APR Depart LHR 11:15 a.m., arrive Boston (BOS) 1:35 p.m. (codeshare with American 6164).
Please note that under current UK guidance U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents (LPRs) can transit without a UK visa so long as:
- They arrive and depart by air;
- Have a confirmed onward flight that leaves on the day you arrive or before midnight on the day after you arrive; and
- Have the correct documents for your destination (i.e. visa for that country).
U.S. citizens may wish to consult the U.S. Embassy in London website for further information about transiting the UK. (https://uk.usembassy.gov/covid-19-coronavirus-information)
The Embassy continues to work with the Egyptian government and foreign Embassy partners to identify or arrange options for U.S. citizens who wish to depart Egypt.
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo continues to collect information from U.S. citizens in order to estimate ongoing demand for flights departing Egypt. If you have already sent us your information, please do not do so again. If you have not done so already, you can still enter your information via this online form(https://tinyurl.com/cairorepat2020). We will not share your information with any third party without your consent.
If you have been able to successfully book a flight departing Egypt, or if you no longer wish to depart Egypt at this time, please notify us by emailing CairoRepat@state.gov.
If you have any other questions about assistance with returning to the U.S., please send an email to CairoRepat@state.gov.
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo reminds U.S. citizens in Egypt to adhere to local quarantine and curfew measures to prevent the spread of the virus and to continue to check with other commercial airlines for upcoming flights that might be departing the country.
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Egypt.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information. http://www.coronavirus.gov
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/summary.html
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/17/fact-sheet-dhs-notice-arrival-restrictions-china-iran-and-certain-countries-europe
- U.S. Embassy Cairo (Cairo, Egypt)
5 Tawfik Diab St
Garden City, Cairo, EGYPT
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Egypt Country Informationhttps://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Egypt.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts. http://step.state.gov
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. fb.me/usembassycairo twitter.com/usembassycairo