July 4th Voting Message
Celebrate democracy this 4th of July by taking the necessary steps to vote in the 2020 U.S. elections!
In order to vote in the November 2020 elections, all overseas U.S. citizens need to have completed a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) in 2020. Whether you are a first-time voter or have already received ballots and voted absentee in past elections, you must complete an FPCA each year to participate in elections as an overseas absentee voter.
Routine operations at U.S. Embassy Cairo, including ballot collection, have been suspended due the COVID-19 epidemic. We will notify U.S. citizens via MASCOT message when we are again able to accept ballots. You may want to consider returning your ballot via a private courier service or international mail if the deadline for return of your ballot is near
Registering to Vote and submitting a ballot is fast, easy, and can be done from anywhere in the world! Follow a few simple steps to vote in the 2020 U.S. elections:
- Register to vote: Start by confirming your voter registration with your state. Some states require absentee voters to register annually, so you may need to re-register. Go to FVAP.gov to connect to your state’s voter portal to register to vote, request a ballot, and more.
- Request Your Ballot: Most states provide the option to request ballots through their state election portals, which you can easily access via FVAP.gov. You can also choose to complete a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). The completion of the FPCA allows you to request absentee ballots for all elections for federal offices (President, U.S. Senate, and U.S. House of Representatives), including primaries and special elections, during the calendar year in which it is submitted. FPCA forms that are correctly filled out and include a signature and date are accepted by all local election officials in every U.S. state and territory. FVAP’s easy online assistant can assist you with completing the FPCA. Whether you request your ballot through your state’s portal or the FPCA, we encourage you to select the option to receive your ballot electronically (by email, internet download, or fax) when available. This is the fastest way to get your ballot and ensures you have it in time to return a completed form before your state’s deadline.
- Receive and Complete Your Ballot: States are required to send out ballots 45 days before a regular election for federal office, and states generally send out ballots at least 30 days before primary elections. Most states allow you to confirm your ballot delivery online.
- Return Your Completed, Signed Ballot: Some states allow you to return your completed ballot electronically. If your state requires you to return paper voting forms or ballots to local election officials by mail, you can do so through international mail or professional courier service. Routine operations at U.S. Embassy Cairo, including ballot collection, have been suspended due to the COVID-19 epidemic, so the U.S. Embassy in Cairo cannot assist with mailing your ballot at this time. We will notify U.S. citizens via MASCOT message when we are again able to accept ballots. You may want to consider returning your ballot via a private courier service or international mail if the deadline for return of your ballot is near.
Researching the Candidates and Issues: Online Resources. Go to the FVAP links page for helpful resources to aid your research of candidates and issues. Non-partisan information about candidates, their voting records, and their positions on issues are widely available and easy to obtain online. You can also read national and hometown newspapers online, or search the internet to locate articles and information. For information about election dates and deadlines, subscribe to FVAP’s Voting Alerts (firstname.lastname@example.org). FVAP also shares Voting Alerts via Facebook (@DODFVAP), Twitter (@FVAP), and Instagram (@fvapgov).
Learn more at the Federal Voting Assistance Program’s (FVAP) website, FVAP.gov. If you have any questions about registering to vote overseas, please contact U.S. at ConsularCairoACS@state.gov.
Remember, your vote counts!
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo encourages U.S. citizens seeking COVID-19 medical information to reference the Government of Egypt’s Ministry of Health and Population’s social media accounts at https://www.facebook.com/egypt.mohp/ (Arabic only). The Government of Egypt has also provided a COVID-19 dedicated hotline at 105 15335 or 15469 for additional inquiries (Arabic proficiency recommended).
The Government of Egypt reopened airports to international commercial air travel on July 1, 2020. Multiple direct and indirect commercial flights are now available from various airlines. Please check directly with airlines or travel companies for options.
If you have additional questions about assistance with returning to the United States, please send an email to CairoRepat@state.gov.
The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens in Egypt to adhere to local measures to prevent the spread of the virus.
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Egypt. https://eg.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information. http://www.coronavirus.gov
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/summary.html
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/17/fact-sheet-dhs-notice-arrival-restrictions-china-iran-and-certain-countries-europe
- U.S. Embassy Cairo (Cairo, Egypt)
5 Tawfik Diab St
Garden City, Cairo, EGYPT
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Egypt Country Informationhttps://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Egypt.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts. http://step.state.gov
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. fb.me/usembassycairo twitter.com/usembassycairo