The Egyptian Civil Aviation Ministry announced that, starting August 15, foreign visitors to Egypt must have a negative PCR test for COVID-1, at most 72 hours before arriving on Egyptian territory. Egyptian citizens, and tourists travelling to coastal tourist governorates (Red Sea, South Sinai, and Matrouh) are exempt.
To comply with social distancing guidelines imposed by both the U.S. and Egyptian governments, the U.S. Embassy in Cairo continues to provide only emergency services to U.S. citizens until further notice. Limited passport services can be provided on an emergency basis, which normally includes urgent travel. If you require an emergency passport please contact ConsularCairoACS@state.gov to request an appointment, and be prepared to provide proof of your upcoming urgent travel (purchased ticket). We will announce the resumption of scheduling for these services when resources and local conditions allow. We regret the inconvenience.
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo encourages U.S. citizens seeking COVID-19 medical information to reference the Government of Egypt’s Ministry of Health and Population’s social media accounts at https://www.facebook.com/egypt.mohp/ (Arabic only). The Government of Egypt has also provided a COVID-19 dedicated hotline at 105 15335 or 15469 for additional inquiries (Arabic proficiency recommended).
The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens in Egypt to adhere to local quarantine and curfew measures to prevent the spread of the virus.
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Egypt. https://eg.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information. http://www.coronavirus.gov
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/summary.html
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/17/fact-sheet-dhs-notice-arrival-restrictions-china-iran-and-certain-countries-europe
- U.S. Embassy Cairo (Cairo, Egypt)
5 Tawfik Diab St
Garden City, Cairo, EGYPT
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Egypt Country Information https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Egypt.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts. http://step.state.gov
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. fb.me/usembassycairo twitter.com/usembassycairo