Location: Egypt, countrywide
Event: Over the last 24 hours, Egypt has experienced a significant currency devaluation, which impacts its economy and population. Some postings on social media are currently calling for protests in Cairo, including following a local soccer match tonight. Social media posts also indicate that cafes will close after the match as part of the protests. U.S. citizens should, therefore, be aware of both the possibility of protests and potential for increased law enforcement and security presence in Egypt. In addition, U.S. citizens should remain vigilant and avoid potential protest areas.
While the Embassy does not have any information on the specific location of any protests, Tahrir Square in downtown Cairo has been the site of many protests in the past.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid demonstrations and crowds
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- U.S. Embassy Cairo (Cairo, Egypt)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Egypt Country Information, https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Egypt.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts. http://step.state.gov