Starting Wednesday March 25, for the next two weeks the Government of Egypt will begin enforcing a nighttime curfew from 7:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
In addition to the alert below, please see the Embassy’s Covid-19 page for Egypt specific information: U.S. Embassy in Egypt COVID-19 Information
Event: Starting Wednesday March 25, for the next two weeks the Government of Egypt will begin enforcing a nighttime curfew from 7:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. The government has announced the following details:
- During curfew hours, all public and private transportation will be stopped.
- Shops and malls will only be allowed to be open from 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. from Sunday to Thursday. Outside of those hours, and on Fridays and Saturdays, all shops and malls will be closed.
- Anyone who violates the curfew could face a 4000 EGP fine or possible imprisonment.
- Grocery stores, bakeries and pharmacies are exempt from the restricted hours and can remain open, but during the restricted hours may only offer delivery.
- All cafes, casinos, clubs, sports events and other entertainment facilities will remain completely closed.
Additionally, the Government of Egypt made the following announcements:
- The suspension of incoming commercial passenger flights into Egypt has been extended for two weeks beyond March 31.
- The closure of public schools and universities will be extended for an additional two weeks.
- All non-health government services are currently suspended. Expiring government documents will be extended for two weeks.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Egypt.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Cairo (Cairo, Egypt)
5 Tawfik Diab St
Garden City, Cairo, EGYPT
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444