Event: FLIGHTS DEPARTING EGYPT STILL AVAILABLE
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo has coordinated with the Egyptian Government to arrange for repatriation flights from Cairo to the United States via EgyptAir. There are currently two flights planned – one on Wednesday April 1 and one on Friday April 3 – departing Cairo and flying directly to Washington, D.C. (Dulles) using a Boeing 787 Dreamliner.
The Embassy is aware that these flights may be nearing capacity, but there may be cancellations of existing reservations so if you wish to depart and have been unable to purchase a ticket yet please keep trying.
These are private commercial flights for which U.S. citizens who wish to depart Egypt will be able to purchase tickets directly by calling the Egypt Air call centers 24 hours a day:
- Landline: 0900 70000
- Mobile: 1717
- From the U.S.: +1 800 334 6787
Tickets can also be purchased through the Egypt Air ticketing office in Terminal 3 of the Cairo Airport. No online booking is allowed for these flights.
- Priority seating will be given to U.S. citizens, with some allowances for Legal Permanent Residents and visa holders accompanying them. If you do not currently have a valid visa, the Embassy will not be able to issue one in advance of these flights.
- These are private, commercial flights operated by Egypt Air and subject to Egypt Air policies regarding fares, baggage, etc. Any travel beyond Washington D.C. (Dulles) will be your responsibility to arrange. The fare for these tickets has been set by Egypt Air.
- All U.S. citizens departing Egypt remain subject to Egyptian immigration laws. If you have overstayed your visa or are otherwise out of compliance with Egyptian immigration laws, you may be required to pay a fine before departing or be denied boarding. Consult Egyptian immigration authorities now if you have any questions about your status.
Other flight Options:
- EgyptAir currently offers a flight to London departing Egypt on Tuesday, March 31. U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents can take this flight if they have separately booked onward transit to the U.S. Contact Egypt Air (see above) for more details.
- Air Cairo currently offers a flight to Paris departing Egypt Tuesday, March 31. Consult flyaircairo.com for more details.
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo has collected information from U.S. citizens in order to estimate the demand for flights departing Egypt. If you have already sent us your information please do not do so again. If you have not, you may wish to enter your information via this online form(https://tinyurl.com/cairorepat2020). We will not share your information with any third party without your consent, and encourage you to contact Egypt Air or Air Cairo directly now if you wish to purchase a ticket.
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo reminds U.S. citizens that they must have a valid U.S. passport in order to travel. If you do not currently have a valid U.S. passport you may come to the U.S. Embassy Sunday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. to apply for one. No appointment is necessary, but you must bring all necessary documents, photos, and fees. Anyone with a valid U.S. passport will not be seen.
If you have additional questions about assistance with returning to the U.S., please send an email to CairoRepat@state.gov.
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo reminds U.S. citizens in Egypt to adhere to local quarantine and curfew measures to prevent the spread of the virus and to continue to check with other commercial airlines for upcoming flights that might be departing the country. The Embassy will continue to work with the Egyptian government to identify or arrange options for U.S. citizens who wish to depart Egypt.
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Egypt. https://eg.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information. http://www.coronavirus.gov
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/summary.html
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-19-information.html
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/17/fact-sheet-dhs-notice-arrival-restrictions-china-iran-and-certain-countries-europe
- U.S. Embassy Cairo (Cairo, Egypt)
5 Tawfik Diab St
Garden City, Cairo, EGYPT
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Egypt Country Information https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Egypt.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts. http://step.state.gov
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. fb.me/usembassycairo