Message to U.S. Citizens: U.S. Embassy Cairo
Event: U.S. citizens may directly return to the United States with certain expired U.S. passports.
If you are overseas and your passport expired on or after January 1, 2020, you may be able to use your expired passport to return directly to the United States until December 31, 2021.
You qualify for this exception if all the following are true:
- You are a U.S. citizen.
- You are currently abroad seeking direct return to the United States.
- You are flying directly to the United States, a United States territory, or have only short-term transit (“connecting flights”) through a foreign country on your direct return to the United States or to a United States Territory.
- Your expired passport was originally valid for 10 years. Or, if you were 15 years of age or younger when the passport was issued, your expired passport was valid for 5 years.
- Your expired passport is undamaged.
- Your expired passport is unaltered.
- Your expired passport is in your possession.
You do not qualify for this exception if:
- You wish to depart from the United States to an international destination.
- You are currently abroad seeking to travel to a foreign country for any length of stay longer than an airport connection en route to the United States or to a United States territory.
- Your expired passport was limited in validity.
- Your expired passport is a special issuance passport (such as a diplomatic, official, service, or no-fee regular passport).
- Your expired passport is damaged.
- Your expired passport is altered.
- Your expired passport is not in your possession.
If you intend to make use of this benefit, please confirm with your airline in advance that you will be able to board your flight with your expired U.S. passport.
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo is making every effort to guarantee enough appointments for U.S. citizens in Egypt to receive passport and other American Citizens Services despite restrictions on occupancy rates, social distancing mandates, and other restrictions in Egypt related to the COVID pandemic. Please consult the U.S. Embassy website for further information on passport services in Egypt. You can schedule a non-emergency appointment directly through our online system by visiting our website.
As a reminder, most passport renewals for adults do not require an in-person appearance. If you are eligible to use Form DS-82 or Form DS-5504, then you may be able renew your U.S. passport by mail. Please visit Adult Passport Renewal by Mail for details of eligibility, application requirements, and where to send your application.
If you require more urgent services please contact ConsularCairoACS@state.gov to request an emergency appointment, and be prepared to provide proof of your emergency such as a purchased plane ticket.
The Embassy will announce the resumption of full consular services when resources and local conditions allow. We appreciate your patience and regret the inconvenience.
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo encourages U.S. citizens seeking COVID-19 medical information to review the Government of Egypt’s Ministry of Health and Population’s social media accounts at https://www.facebook.com/egypt.mohp/ (Arabic only). The Government of Egypt has also provided a COVID-19 dedicated hotline at 105 15335 or 15469 for additional inquiries (Arabic proficiency recommended).
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Egypt.https://eg.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information. http://www.coronavirus.gov
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/summary.html
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- U.S. Embassy Cairo (Cairo, Egypt)
5 Tawfik Diab St
Garden City, Cairo, EGYPT
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Egypt Country Informationhttps://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Egypt.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts. http://step.state.gov
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. fb.me/usembassycairo twitter.com/usembassycairo