The U.S. Mission to Egypt is aware that several groups are calling for protests in Alexandria on December 8, 2017. Demonstrations have the potential to become violent. U.S. Embassy Cairo reminds U.S. citizens of the need for caution and awareness of personal security. We urge U.S. citizens to avoid all protests.
* The U.S. Consulate General Alexandria is aware of a protest march happening NOW at Raml Station’s Qaed Ibrahim Mosque, moving towards Alexandria University. U.S. Citizens should avoid that area until the protest has ended.
* The U.S. Consulate General Alexandria is aware of a protest planned for Friday, December 8, 2017 14:00, at the Alexandria University Compound and AMIDEAST compound (adjacent to the Lebanese Consulate). U.S. citizens are strongly advised to these locations and surrounding areas.
* The U.S. Consulate General Alexandria is aware of a protest planned for Friday, December 8, 2017 16:00, at San Stefano Mall. U.S. citizens are strongly advised to avoid the Mall and surrounding area.
Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news for updates. Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities. Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further detailed information regarding Egypt and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Egypt.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Egypt. For non-emergency inquiries, U.S. citizens may send an email to the American Citizens Services Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org.