Most passport renewals for adults do not require an in-person appearance. If you are eligible to use Form DS-82 or Form DS-5504, then you may be able renew your U.S. passport by mail. Please visit Adult Passport Renewal by Mail for details of eligibility, application requirements, and where to send your application.
Please consult the U.S. Embassy website for further information on passport services in Egypt.
To comply with social distancing guidelines imposed by both the U.S. and Egyptian governments, the U.S. Embassy in Cairo continues to provide primarily emergency services to U.S. citizens until further notice. Limited non-emergency services are available by appointment. You can schedule an appointment directly through our online system by visiting our website.
If you require more urgent services please contact ConsularCairoACS@state.gov to request an emergency appointment, and be prepared to provide proof of your emergency such as a purchased plane ticket. The Embassy will announce the resumption of regular customer services when resources and local conditions allow. We appreciate your patience and regret the inconvenience.
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo encourages U.S. citizens seeking COVID-19 medical information to review the Government of Egypt’s Ministry of Health and Population’s social media accounts at https://www.facebook.com/egypt.mohp/ (Arabic only). The Government of Egypt has also provided a COVID-19 dedicated hotline at 105 15335 or 15469 for additional inquiries (Arabic proficiency recommended).
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Egypt. https://eg.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information. http://www.coronavirus.gov
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/summary.html
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-19-information.html
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter