Steps to Apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad in Cairo
Applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and first-time passport at the Embassy in Cairo includes three steps:
- Document Submission: Please note that the response time for application requests is up to five business days, or longer in the case of multiple children.
- Review: Once we have reviewed your application and it is documentarily complete, we will email you your appointment day and time. If your application is missing any information, we will let you know.
- Appointment: Come to the Embassy. The child and parent(s) must appear at the appointed day and time with all application forms and required original documents, photocopies of original documents, as well as any additional documents requested by consular staff. Applicants without an appointment confirmation email from CRBACairo@state.gov will not be permitted entry. Please come to the appointment prepared. Missing documents or incorrectly filled out forms can significantly delay CRBA application processing times.
How to Schedule a CRBA Appointment
Prior to requesting an appointment, please:
- Download, print, and complete the CRBA Checklist. Please review the individual items carefully and check them off as you complete them.
- Complete the Application for a CRBA, Form DS-2029. Do not sign.
- Complete an Application for a U.S. Passport, Form DS-11. Do not sign. Click on this link for more information on photo requirements.
- Gather supporting evidence (marriage certificate, birth certificate, physical presence documents, etc.), which may be found on the CRBA Checklist. As you complete the items on the checklist, please check the corresponding box.
Once the above steps have been completed, please send an email to CRBACairo@state.gov with the subject line: “Request for CRBA appointment – [NAME OF CHILD].” Please include a scanned copy of the completed CRBA Checklist, DS-2029 CRBA Application, DS-11 Passport Application, and the documents identified in the CRBA Checklist with your appointment request. Appointments will not be granted without these scanned and completed documents.
Your documents will be reviewed, and an appointment time will be provided via email. After you receive your appointment confirmation, please remember to come to your interview appointment prepared with all forms correctly filled out and with all required supporting documents. Failure to do so can significantly delay the time it takes to process your CRBA application.
If you have an emergency and need an expedited appointment, please explain the nature of your emergency in your appointment request email.
Note: Each child requiring a CRBA will need a separate appointment and a separate CRBA Checklist, though you may send all the information and documentation in one email.
Although only one parent and the child need to come to the Embassy to apply for a CRBA, it is highly recommended that the U.S. citizen parent who is transmitting citizenship appear in person for the interview. If you are also applying for a passport for your child, the child must be present and both parents must either appear or provide a notarized DS-3053 Parental Consent form for the passport’s issuance. For more information on parental consent, please visit Travel.State.Gov.
Please note: Electronic devices are not allowed in the Embassy and Embassy storage is limited to only cell phones. Any other electronics, including but not limited to, earpieces and laptops, are not permitted in the Embassy and cannot be stored by the Embassy.