Required Documents

You are required to complete but NOT sign the following TWO forms: 

  1. Form DS 2029 (PDF 216KB)– Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  2. Form DS 11 – Application for a Passport
    *Complete the DS-11 form online and print or
    *Print the DS-11 form and complete by hand (PDF 100 KB) 

In addition to the above forms, please submit the following documents:
If any of the documents are not in English, please bring a translation.

  1. Child’s birth certificate: Birth certificate issued by the competent authority in the country of the child’s birth listing both the child and parents’ information.  Please bring the original and an additional photocopy of the document.
  2. Passport photo for the child: One 2 inch x 2 inch / 5cm x 5cm square passport photo taken within the last six months.
  3. Marriage certificate: An original or court certified copy of the marriage certificate issued by the appropriate authorities in the country in which the marriage took place. If the parents are not married, this is not required.  Please bring the original and 1 photocopy of the document.
  4. Divorce or death certificate: If either parent has been married previously, they must present the original or court certified divorce decree or death certificate for all previous marriages.  Please bring the original and 1 photocopy of the document.
  5. Evidence of the parent(s) U.S. citizenship: The U.S. citizen parent(s) must present their U.S. passport. Please bring the original and a photocopy.
  6. Passport/identification document for non-U.S. citizen parent: The non-U.S. citizen parent must bring their passport or other government issued photo identification document. Please bring the original and a photocopy.
  7. Child’s Egyptian or other foreign passport if they have been issued one. Please bring the original and a photocopy of the biographic page of the document.
  8. Original signed and dated affidavit statement that your child has not been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.  Do not fill this out if your child has been issued a Social Security number.  You will instead write their Social Security number on their passport application.
  9. Proof of Physical Presence in the United States of the U.S. citizen parent(s):  The U.S. citizen parent(s) will be asked to present proof of their physical presence in the United States. Good examples of proof of physical presence include school records, immunization records, university and high school transcripts, tax returns, and employment records.  Please Note: tax documents by themselves do not exhibit presence, only U.S. income generated. They may be helpful to your case adjudication, but if you are using tax documents, please also submit additional evidence.

Please refer to our website to review the physical presence requirements for transmission of citizenship and ensure you are bringing sufficient evidence to demonstrate the length of presence in the United States required for your circumstances.