International Parental Child Abduction

If a child abduction has just occurred or is in process, call the local police at 122.

To report the abduction of a U.S. Citizen child, please use the U.S. Citizen Services Navigator. The navigator will ask a series of simple questions to provide you with instructions on how to contact us.


Office of Children’s Issues maintains comprehensive information regarding International Parental Child Abduction, including case management, resources to locate an abducted child, tools to prevent abductions, and Country Information. Please refer to their information regarding Child Abduction Issues in Egypt.

Preventing Abductions

To prevent international child abduction, the Department of State requires that both parents consent to the issuance of a minor (under age 16) child’s passport.  Parents involved in child custody disputes who wish to be notified if an application for their child’s U.S. passport is submitted may also ask that their child’s name be entered into the State Department’s Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP).

If you believe your child is in the process of being abducted by a parent, legal guardian, or someone acting on their behalf, please call the Office of Children’s Issues at 1-888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444. Please visit our Prevention Tips page for steps you can take to prevent an abduction from occurring.