Required Documents

Applicants for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad and/or Passports are required to submit original documents in support of their applications (unless otherwise advised), as well as a photocopy of each required original document. All original documents will be returned to the applicant. Official written translations are required for documents issued in languages other than English.

Examples of Acceptable Evidence

  1. Evidence of U.S. Citizenship
  • US. birth certificate
  • US. passport
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240)
  • Certification of Birth (Form DS-1350 or FS-545)
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
  1. Evidence of Identity
    Government issued identity documents must contain a current name, signature and a photograph.
  • U.S. or foreign passport (not mutilated, damaged or altered)
  • Driver’s license
  • Government issued ID card
  • Military ID card
  • Applicants over the age of 16 will sign their own applications. Applicants over the age of 16  without a valid photo ID may be asked to provide additional identity evidence and should be accompanied by at least one parent.

Progressive photographs may be required if the image/signature have changed since the document was issued.

  1. Evidence of Name Change
    Name change documentation must contain both the original name and the name being changed to. Current evidence of identity bearing the applicant’s new name should also be presented (where available).
  • Marriage certificate
  • Court order
  • Divorce decree
  • Change of Name Certificate
  • Adoption decree
  1. Evidence of Marriage
    Registered marriage certificate.
  1. Evidence of Termination of Marriage
  • Divorce decree
  • Death certificate
  1. Parental Consent Documentation
    U.S. regulations require the consent of both parents/legal guardians for the issuance of a U.S. passport to a minor child. The minor child as the applicant must be present. To meet these regulations, the following documents are required.
  • Evidence of the child’s birth, listing the parents of the child
    • Full birth certificate
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)
    • Certification of Birth Abroad (DS-1350)
    • Adoption decree
    • Court order establishing guardianship
  • The parents’ current photographic identification

If only one parent submits the application for a minor child, one of the following documents are required to either express the consent of the absent parent or provide justification for the issuance of the passport without their consent:

  • completed and notarized Form DS-3053;
  • court adjudicated custody order;
  • judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or,
  • death certificate of non-applying parent.