Social Security

Social Security Inquiries:

If you reside in Egypt and have questions regarding services provided by the Social Security Administration (SSA), you must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located in Naples, Italy.

For more information on their services and how to contact them, please visit their webpage at Consulate Naples

For comprehensive information on SSA’s services abroad, please visit SSA’s webpage Service Around the World

If you are already receiving SSA benefits payments, there will be no change in the method of distribution of those payments.

Applying for a Social Security Number:

U.S. citizens over the age of 12 applying for the first time for a social security number must contact the American Citizenship Services Unit through the U.S. Citizen Services Navigator to set up an appointment to apply for a social security number.

Please note: American citizens applying for a passport who have a social security number must provide their social security number on their passport application.

Please Note: If your bank account was frozen because you do not currently have a social security number, upon request from the applicant and after receiving the application, the Federal Benefits Unit may issue a letter stating that your social security application is in process.