The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Egypt is responsible for providing visa services to those seeking to enter the United States for a temporary period and for those wishing to take up indefinite or permanent residence in the United States.
Visiting the Embassy
All visitors must be screened prior to entering the Embassy and are subject to inspection via a walk-through metal detector and a hand-held metal detector. In order to expedite your interview and required security checks, please keep in mind the following policies:
- All Consular visitors seeking access to the Embassy must present valid government-issued photo identification.
- Visitors seeking access to the American Citizen Services Unit must present two forms of valid government-issued photo identification.
- Cell phones are prohibited beyond the security check entrance. There are no exceptions.
- Laptops, recording equipment, computers, cameras, electronics, backpacks, large bags, luggage, large purses, oversized strollers and other cumbersome items are prohibited and cannot be deposited at the security entrance. There are no exceptions. Please leave these items at home.
- Please follow all instructions given by the guards.
- American citizens facing emergencies can be admitted to speak to a consular officer.
- Due to space limitations, please do not arrive until your scheduled appointment time.
- All minor children should be accompanied by one parent or legal guardian
Hours of Operation
Access to the Visa Section is by appointment only. The Visa Section does not provide visa services or information on a walk-in basis.
The Immigrant Visa Unit (IV) is open for business Sunday through Thursday, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m, access to the IV Section is by appointment only.
Please note the following persons may accompany a visa applicant during Consular-related visits:
Special Needs Visitors: Applicants who have special needs due to a physical disability may be accompanied by ONE person. Due to space limitations, only applicants and petitioners with scheduled appointments for visa interviews or American Citizen Services will be allowed inside the waiting rooms.
Please be courteous to all staff. This will avoid delays. Please note that security regulations apply to all visitors. If you fail to follow these security requirements, you may face delays or the cancellation of your visit. For more information in English, please click here (PDF 319 KB). For more information in Arabic, please click here (PDF 228 KB).
We appreciate your cooperation and understanding as we strive to maintain orderly and efficient service for all customers. If you have any questions or concerns regarding these policies please feel free to contact us at:
firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or call +20-2797- 3300 or 16872 (from within Egypt).
The Embassy of the United States of America
Embassy of the United States of America
5 Tawfik Diab Street
Garden City, Cairo
If you have a question about visas or any other consular matter, please see the Consular Service page.
Our Cairo call center handles general questions, responds to case-specific inquiries, and schedules appointments for certain services (but not visa interviews). The number is 0900-70600. You may only call from a land line in Egypt to reach this number, and you will be charged a small fee. You may also call 2100 from a call center mobile in Egypt.