Important Information for Visa Applicants:
The U.S. Embassy in Cairo is working every day to address the high demand for nonimmigrant visa appointments that accumulated over the past two years because of the pandemic. As a result, while nonimmigrant visa appointment requests are handled on a first-come first-serve basis, and there are expedited services for those seeking nonimmigrant visa renewals, the wait times for non-expedited nonimmigrant visa appointments remain very long. We appreciate your patience.
To apply for a nonimmigrant visa (of any category), please visit USTravelDocs.com. Appointments are usually opened on Sunday mornings at 8:00am (or Monday if there is a holiday). If you are unable to find an available appointment, please try again the following Sunday morning at 8:00am.
Passport Processing Times: Applicants who are approved for a nonimmigrant visa at the interview window should plan to be without their passports for approximately two weeks. Applicants who are renewing their nonimmigrant visa through the interview waiver program should plan to be without their passports for up to six weeks. While most passports are processed in less time, there is a large demand for U.S. visas, and we cannot guarantee your passport will be returned before then.
Interview Waiver Eligibility: For those seeking to renew nonimmigrant visas that expired no more than 48 months ago, interview appointments are no longer required. Applicants who qualify to renew their visa without an interview are still required to take an appointment slot to drop off their documents at the courier. Please click here to learn more about the Interview Waiver Program
Children under the Age of 14 are Not Admitted to the Embassy:
All minor applicants under the age of 14 are exempt from interviews. If you are a parent attending a nonimmigrant visa interview, please make alternative arrangements for childcare as children will not be allowed inside the visa waiting room.
Limited Expedited Appointment Availability:
If you have unforeseen travel plans and require an expedited interview appointment for a nonimmigrant visa, please visit the USTravelDocs.com , and select “Apply for an Expedited Appointment” to submit your request. We have limited capacity for handling such cases and not everyone who requests an expedited visa appointment will receive one. Please plan accordingly.
The CDC’s Order requiring proof of vaccination for non-U.S. citizen nonimmigrants to travel to the United States is still in effect. For more information see Requirement for Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination for Air Passengers.
Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Egypt is responsible for providing visa services to those seeking to enter the United States for a temporary period and for those wishing to take up indefinite or permanent residence in the United States.
Visiting the Embassy
Access to the Visa Section is by appointment only. The Visa Section does not provide visa services or information on a walk-in basis.
All visitors must be screened prior to entering the Embassy and are subject to inspection via a walk-through metal detector and a hand-held metal detector. In order to expedite your interview and required security checks, please keep in mind the following policies:
- All Consular visitors seeking access to the Embassy must present valid government-issued photo identification.
- Cell phones are prohibited beyond the security check entrance. There are no exceptions.
- Laptops, recording equipment, computers, cameras, electronics, backpacks, large bags, luggage, large purses, oversized strollers, and other cumbersome items are prohibited and cannot be deposited at the security entrance. There are no exceptions. Please leave these items at home.
- Please follow all instructions given by the guards.
- Due to space limitations, please do not arrive until your scheduled appointment time.
- If you, or a member of your immediate household, tests positive for COVID-19, do not attend your scheduled appointment at the embassy. Instead, please email ConsularCairoNIV@state.gov to notify us that the reason you are unable to attend your appointment is due to COVID-19. Upon completion of your required 14-day quarantine or a negative PCR COVID-19 test, please notify us and we will promptly reschedule your appointment.
- Mask wearing is encouraged within the embassy but not required.
- Please be courteous to all staff. This will avoid delays. Please note that security regulations apply to all visitors. If you fail to follow these security requirements, you may face delays or the cancellation of your visit. For more information in English, please click here (PDF 319 KB). For more information in Arabic, please click here (PDF 228 KB).
Children under the Age of 14 are Not Admitted to the Embassy: All minor applicants under the age of 14 are exempt from interviews. If you are a parent attending a nonimmigrant visa interview, please make alternative arrangements for childcare as children will not be allowed inside the visa waiting room.
Special Needs Visitors: Applicants who have special needs due to a physical disability may be accompanied by ONE person.
The Embassy of the United States of America
Embassy of the United States of America
5 Tawfik Diab Street
Garden City, Cairo
If you have a question about visas or any other consular matter, please see the Consular Service page.
Our Cairo call center handles general questions, responds to case-specific inquiries, and schedules appointments for certain services (but not visa interviews). The number is 0900-70600. You may only call from a land line in Egypt to reach this number, and you will be charged a small fee. You may also call 2100 from a call center mobile in Egypt.